Monday 13 October 2008

Traffic Cones and Transcona.

I don't feel like I've done much work recently but I've had a lot going around in my brain. Anyway, I was walking through perth a few weeks ago and I saw a few traffic cones set out as in the picture below. Well this is basically what went through my head when I saw them. Random, I know but I couldn't get it out of my head, so here it is...banished from my thoughts and destined to spend the rest of it's life on the internet. 

Dude...

Secondly, there's an artist whose poetry I think is great, the guy's called Clive Holden and he did a bunch of poems called 'Trains of Winnipeg' a few years back, some of which are set over music by the Weakerthans (one of my favourite bands, hence how I got into listening to it) It's not the most upbeat, cheerful thing to listen to if I'm honest but I always enjoy it anyhow. One poem is called 'Transcona', it's not too long so give it a listen over at CyclopsPress if you will before or whilst looking at my picture. Also, I am aware that he is talking about Trains and Coaches in this poem but I found this pitcure of Transcona and I just really like it is all, I have such an urge to visit this place even though it doesn't sound like there's too much there. 


Thank you Transcona for bringing me home.

P.S. How come nobody has posted anything in ages, come people shape up...

JAB

4 comments:

Jen Collins said...

i like i like. (: i also like 'transcona', & i like your image of it. (: it sounds like a place of wide spaces & yellow.

i haven't drawn anything for ages, it makes me sad. ):

John Alan Birch said...

yeah to be honest that's one of the more cheery poems from Trains of Winnipeg, it's nice, kind of an 'everything will be okay' sort of message to it aswell. I think I may redo the picture because I kinda wanted to paint it. Although I am happy with how it turned out to be honest.

I know, I keep meaning to do my comic, but I'm not enoying it at the moment. Im working on a zine and a comic...and I want to redo my website and my portfolio. Don't know if I've maybe bitten off more than I can chew...

x

Jen Collins said...

i don't think you have, just pace yourself. my list of things to do is a bit huge, & i'm so slow!

John Alan Birch said...

Yeah definitley, I've set myself a list of five do-able things to have done by sunday, i think maybe doing stuff like that may help me get through it all.